The survey included eight major mining centres. These are listed together with the Chinese names used by the miners.
- Bendigo 大金山, 品地溝
- Balarat 巴拉辣, 叭拉辣, 巴辣, 孖辣
- Beechworth 茵陳坑, 必自活
- Castlemaine 加市哏
- Ararat 亞辣
- Maryborough 陜慎
As gold fields are scattered over a geographic area, the survey had grouped these into districts. Please note that
- Beechworth included all Buckland Ovens river area.
- Balarat statistics also included Smythesdale.
- Dalyesford district also include the Blackwood, Hepburn area.
- Mopoke, Baker’s Creek, Golden Point and Diamond Gully were counted as Castlemaine.
- Bendigo was then referred to as Sandhurst.
There were other gold fields that were not recorded in the survey. These included Stawell, Nine Mice Creek, Maldon, Yackandandat and Geelong.